Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bipolar Art: Creations of the Manic Depressive

This is one I put together several months ago. Was feeling pretty mentally ill at the time. As soon as I had the idea for it, like most things, I had to do it immediately. Drew the picture, placed the meds, then Photoshopped it to make the stick figures sexier.

Do you have an artistic creation that sprung out of your bipolar disorder? Leave a comment and let us know where to find your image online.

This post is where I will add any future bipolar art brain farts:

I created this on a very depressed day when i went to the art museum with my oldest daughter. The museum had and interactive room with a giant pin art pallet. After creating this I felt quite a bit better. like I had let some of the depression out. Also, FYI, pressing your face into pin art hurts.













Prozac and Seroquel Smiley Face





























I just recently realized that a couple of art pieces in my home really remind me of my "shadow" side, the depression in me. I didn't create these pieces, and, as far as I know they weren't created by an artist who struggles with bipolar disorder or depression, but I really feel a connection with these works of art. 

The picture to the left is a ceramic sculpture of a faceless girl holding a jar. This was my mother's. She collected quite a bit of art, and when this piece was in her home, it always bothered me. This brown faceless girl kind of creeped me out. After my mother died, I kept some of her art pieces and sold others. When I was considering what to do with this one, I stared at it for a long time, and suddenly it looked beautiful and sad to me. Now it hangs in my living room. 

This second photo is of a painting I purchased while on vacation last year in Northern California. It's titled "Grace" by artist Yarrow Summers. As soon as I saw it, I had to have it. The way the woman in blue is staring off into the unknown seemed very melancholy to me. I looks like I feel when I am sad and still.

No comments:

Post a Comment